University of Mumbai’s Certificate Course in Retail Marketing (Add-on-Course) in Tolani College of Commerce from A.Y. 2010-11
The University of Mumbai has introduced a Certificate Course in Retail Marketing (Add-on-Course) from the academic year 2009-10. This is a plain vanilla certificate course which would equip a student with basic understanding of retail marketing.
Desirability of the course
The college should start this add-on- course for the following reasons:
- With the growth of organised retailing estimated at 40 per cent (CAGR) over the next few years, Indian retailing is clearly at a tipping point. The present scenario depicts that there will be a very high demand for talented manpower in the retail business. It is estimated that retail employers in India will need more that 20 lakh skilled people in various specialised areas within the industry. This add-on-course is an attempt to bridge the existing skill gap.
- The course will have a market value as it approved by the University of Mumbai.
- This course is in sync with one of our goals of equipping students to face the challenges of emerging/changing national and global trends.
- To provide a comprehensive view of retailing and application of marketing concepts in the retailing industry
- To investigate the changing role of e-commerce in retailing
- To study strategies for optimal site selection and display analysis
On successful completion of this course, a student will acquire skills in:
- Retail anthropology and demographic analysis for site selection
- Identification of best practices for online retailing
Course structure and methodology
- Passed H.S.C. or its equivalent
- Batch size:
- 40 students’ per batch
- Duration of the course: 1 year with 20 credits (total 300 hours)
- There will be two terms having one paper each (6 credits per paper)
- Each term will have 90 hours of lecturing divided into 30 lectures of 3 hours duration (2 lectures per week)
- Students’ have to submit 2 project reports of 4 credits (60 hours) during the duration of the course
- Pattern of Examination
- Total marks: 250
- Theory: 75 marks for each paper
- Project: Report 40 marks each and Presentation 10 marks each
- Passing Criteria
- 40 per cent marks in theory and project
- Rs.3,000/- per student